Friday, August 13, 2010

Heat Wave

So, we've spent the summer largely in the house, which is unfortunate. We have had such hot and humid weather, that even the kids don't want to be outside for very long at all. :( So, we've had to find some interesting ways to occupy our time, so this puzzle is something that Katy drug our of the closet . . . Our friend Lucy had given it to us before we moved away from Maine, and we had yet to finish it . . . that is, until yesterday!!! All the kids worked on it, and I think Karl may have placed a couple of pieces too. I worked for hours on it, using the techniques (and teaching them to the kids) that my grandmother taught me years ago. She was amazing at puzzles . . . well, lots of things really, but puzzles was for sure on that list!

All the heat that has been hard on us humans, has been great for the garden! Our tomatoes are HUGE!!! We only planted 3 large tomato plants and 2 cherry tomato plants. (We didn't want to be over-run by them.) And yesterday, this is what Katy and I picked from our cherry tomato plants (2) 64 cherry tomatoes! I couldn't believe it! We have had an abundance, and they have over-run the garden, but we don't mind. Neither does Bacon, or the chickens, as they get all the rotting or bug eaten ones. :) So what did I do with all those cherry tomatoes you ask??? Well, I made pasta salad, with tomatoes and green peppers from our garden, and homemade Italian dressing (and a few more things too, but olives from a can aren't nearly as impressive as tomatoes from the garden.)

No comments:

Post a Comment