Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Miracle!


So, I have decided that life must go on (even though I'm not sure my garden wholeheartedly agrees), even in the 100+ degree heat wave we've had this year. So when I heard that our old neighbor from Maine was going to be in D.C. for the week, I committed to spending part of a day with her and her son and all the kids in the city. Some of you may not realize, but I am not really a city girl, and I drive a really not city girl kind of vehicle. (A Suburban.) I went to bed last night thinking to myself . . . "Am I crazy? Why did I commit to this!?!?!?!?" But Katy and I had already prepared most of a backpack lunch (PB and homemade jam sandwiches, apples, cheetos, grapes, granola bars, celery, snack crackers, cheese sticks and water) to share with our friends, so we had to go. The trip there was going quite smoothly minus a bit of traffic for construction, until our exit . . . which isn't actually an exit anymore! I mean, it's there . . . well, part of it is! So "Sassy" (our GPS) had us "recalculating" our way all over downtown D.C., into VA, and everywhere, but she did eventually get us there. The temperature gauge on the Surburban read 99 when we entered the parking garage, at about 10:30am. We walked the 2/3 of a mile to the museum (Natural History) and enjoyed the wonderfully air conditioned chaos (including, but not limited to "the elephant", and the hall of mammals, the hope diamond, the giant squid, the little aquarium the dinosaurs and more dinosaurs and more dinosaurs), for a couple of hours until . . . it was time to go. We snapped some pictures, said our goodbyes, gave hugs and parted ways. (I miss them again, already.) Then came the fun part . . . as we walked back to the parking garage in the now 103 degree heat, I literally thought to myself "Sassy, don't fail me now." But, she did . . . she didn't even pick up a signal until we were almost to Waldorf! Good thing for my iPhone, and having grown up in an age where kids in school learned to read maps, and orient themselves with/on maps! We did drive through some of the (not-so) nicest parts of town to find our way, but we made it! I survived . . . without Karl, without any real help from the GPS, and with all four kids in tow! It's a miracle!

In other news for the day . . . we stopped at the Amish Market on our way home, and spent $18 of the last $20 cash I had for the day. We got eggplant, tomatoes, an onion, homemade noodles, chocolate shoe fly pie and triple treat cookies. We even had $2 to spare when we left! Oh what a meal we had! There is nothing as fantastic as fresh picked, still warm from the sun tomatoes! We had the noodles with alfredo sauce, the eggplant was sliced and stacked with parmesan cheese and a tomato slice, and the onion and more tomatoes were diced along with potatoes and a dinner sausage to be baked into pure yumminess! (Oh, and the Chocolate Shoe Fly Pie - AMAZING! . . . the triple treat cookies weren't terrible either - although Joe would say "Yeah they were . . . terrible good!" Tonight, we also have a friend's son with us . . . he's 2 and such a sweet kid. His mommy was having his baby brother tonight, so he's hanging out with us! Nothing tops off a great day, like a great home cooked meal, dessert, and great news from a good friend! Congrats to the Abbott Family on their newest addition! All 9 lbs 12 ounces of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment